The Huniade Castle is the oldest building in Timișoara, built between 1308-1315 by Carol Robert de Anjou and rebuilt after the earthquake of 1443 by Iancu de Hunedoara and the Italian architect Paolo Santini de Duccio (1443-1447). During the Ottoman occupation, the building was the residence of the Beylerbeyi of the Paşalâc of Timișoara. As a result of the siege of 1716 led by Eugene of Savoy, the building underwent a new reconstruction; starting from the 18th century, it became an artillery barracks. Finally, in the mid-19th century (1856), the Huniade Castle underwent its most extensive renovation and acquired the appearance it retains today. Since 1947, the Castle has housed the history and natural sciences sections of the National Museum of Banat.
OBS. The castle has been closed to the public for the past 15 years, and only part of the building will reopen for the Biennial. In addition, there have been many disputes over the years about the quality of the restoration work.